Monday, June 20, 2016

Sunday, June 19: Father's Day in the US, but not in Germany. Colin & Erin

N.B.  Today was Father's Day back home but not in Germany.  Father's Day is celebrated on Christihimmelfahrt (Ascencion Day) with most men going hiking with friends and hanging out afterwards in a Biergarten....Frau S.


Colin Chalupa-
On Sunday so much has happened. "It was lit fam." So what exactly happened was first most of everyone slept 11am because we were all tired from altstadtfest. Once I woke up my partner Philipp was still asleep so I sat on the stair case so I could have Wi-Fi without awkwardly going downstairs. Finally, it was 12pm and my partner wakes up, then proceeded to eat "breakfast" which was a delicious chocolate filled croissant  followed by a piece of chocolate cake. It was then only about 1 o'clock and I had no idea what was going down. Grant and David went to a water park. Another group went somewhere. Then some went swimming in the Saarland Thermen. But what would the rest of us do? We went to Michelle's. We played Mario Cart on the Wii which was always close. Kyle kept losing first right in front of the finish line at the end. Then we got some good pizza, one was salami(pepperoni), then the other was salami with pepperoni(yellow peppers). After that we had some good chocolate cake and started playing music on Florian's portable speaker. Once Michelle's parents got back from walking the dog, Leo, we all decided to go to the park down the street. Thats when the fun began for the group I was with. We not only continued to play the music very loudly but we had an American football. We played catch and decided to play a great childhood game. The game was 500 first we had to explain the game to the Germans then the fun began. We all really sucked, for the first 10 throws no one caught the football. There was pushing, swatting, and dropping the football. Eventually we did get bored so to the playground equipment we went. The swing was fun as some of us used it normally and some jumped of mid swing. But the highlight of the playground was the see-saw. I have not seen a see-saw in forever since in America they are considered dangerous and all have been removed. We stacked people on trying to balance it. Not only that but we would try to launch people in the air. Then once one side hit the bottom really hard and Florian fell off. Our group then started to fall apart as people left. So we went back to Michelle's house for drinks and snacks. Some funny jokes were told and we had a conversation about what was normal to think about and we all agreeded food was at the top of the list. Then it was 6:50 pm and was time to leave. I ate some food then me and Philipp went to his room. We played some games watched some videos. Hope everyone had/has a good father's day. Goodnight.

Sunday June 19th 2016

Hallo! Ich heiße Erin Johnson und ich schreibe die Blog heute! I started my day off eating my breakfast that I've eaten daily for the past week. I have a Brotchen (bread roll), cut in half with one side with salami and cheese and the other side with Ovomaltine which is basically Nutella with malt in it which makes it crunchy. I eat the two sides of the roll separately and they are very good (and filling). I don't think I'll ever get sick of it; it is so good! I've learned that “I am full,” is “Ich bin satt,” in German. I've used this sentence many times each day.

I had the chance to sleep in today so my day didn't officially start until about 10am, which is when I ate breakfast. After breakfast, I played a board game similar to the American board game Sorry! with my GAPP partner and her brother, Laura and Jonas. We also had a competition with ping pong paddles and balls to see who could bounce the ball the longest. We were also eating Pringles at this time and tried to throw the ping pong balls into the Pringles cans. I'm not sure if America has this, but they have Paprika flavored Pringles which is new to me. Sie schmecken sehr gut! 

My family had a cookout planned and I met some of Laura’s extended family. They tried to speak normal German to me (without their Saarland dialect) but they still speak very quickly so it is difficult to understand. I've learned that Weisswurst and Spätzle are my favorite German foods, along with Ovomaltine and Mezzo Mix (Cola and orange juice or Fanta mix)

The other GAPP students did many different things today! Going to swim at a water park, relaxing at the Saarland Therme, bowling, and hanging out together outside at Michelle’s house were some of the things the other GAPP students did today. Last Monday when we didn't have school due to the preparation for the Abitur, I went to the Saarland Therme and it was very relaxing so I'm sure the students who went there today are very relaxed and stress-free right now! Also, seeing pictures taken at Michelle’s house I can see that they also enjoyed themselves. Some of the pictures were on a seesaw and a swing set.

The weather was nice today so everyone doing things outside had a perfect day! Today was the first day with no rain in a while and it's supposed to be even warmer tomorrow with no rain (fingers crossed!!!). The temperature is supposed to get gradually warmer throughout this week and I'm sure everyone is excited! Until next time, tschüss! 







No comments:

Post a Comment