Saturday, June 11, 2016

Friday: June 10 :Auf nach Homburg/Homestays// Kalli & Trevor

Kalli:

Today, our group set off on a VERY long journey to Blieskastel. It started off with an early breakfast and lots of scrambling around to pack up everything and clean our rooms. We somehow fit everyone on the train headed to the main train station and began our 3 hour ride. I personally slept for about half of the ride but for the other half, I admired the beautiful, hilly landscapes, unlike the flat corn fields we have in Iowa. 
After the 3 hour ride came another 2 hour trip. This one was delayed both by our missing the first train and also by a police hold-up on a platform near the end of the line. Again, I slept for a good portion of the ride.
Once we reached the station in Homburg, we were greeted with smiling faces, cameras, and a big welcome sign held by our german partners. Finally seeing the people I had only talked to over texts was both exciting and a bit terrifying. Everyone was talking and laughing and hugging with all the excitement. I finally got to meet Michelle and I can't wait for the days to come! 
Once we left the station on the way home, I realized just how fast everyone talked. It was much different than the proper, slow german we heard in class. I could understand most of what my family was saying, but luckily Michelle was able to translate some of it to make it easier. 
My family's home is very different from houses back in America. It is about the same size, but one difference I noticed was that they don't use faucet water or dispensers on their fridge. They instead buy large bottles of water and tea and use those at the dinner table. Also they use cartons of milk instead of jugs. 
My host family lives in a small town not too far from Blieskastel called Niedergailbach. On the drive from the station I saw so many horses in the hills and was told I would be able to ride horses with Michelle! We are doing that on Saturday. 
I absolutely love my host family and their house. They have a dog named Leo and Michelle says he already loves me! I can't wait for the rest of what this trip has in store!

No comments:

Post a Comment