Saturday, June 25, 2016

Out of Order: Thursday, June 23 Back at school

Mary Grace:
I wake up a little later than usual because my partner has first block off. We leave the house at 8:30 and walk to the bus stop. We go with Emma and that one kid to dm to get deodorant. Every person my age carries around dry spray deodorant when it's hot. So we had to walk a longer time and it is very hot out. I'm also wearing a dress because I would not want to be out in jeans in this heat. It is supposed to get to get to 90 degrees today. We sit in an open room until the bell rings. All of the Germans do their homework while we wait for class to start. We go to homeroom and talk about the talent night and how the rest of the trip will look. We learn the dances for the whole group number and we are practicing more tomorrow. Then we go to class. I go to Chemistry with Ryley, Elyssa, and Connor. We don't do much as usual. Then we don't have the last class, so a bunch of us are going to the swimming pool. We wait for some of the others and Sydney has to go home quick to get her swim suit. I stay with Meike and Ryley and get an ice cream cone. We walk to the Freizeitzentrum (literally free time center) to go to the pool. We stay there from about 1:30ish until 7:00. Early on some of us get something to eat and drink. Ryley and I see these interesting drinks that have candy brands on them. We buy a skittles shake and a twix shake. It was pretty weird, but it tasted like fruit milk and chocolate milk with a hint of caramel, respectively. All of us have a lot of fun going down the slide. We go in trains, pairs, backwards, frontwards, and pretty much any way you can think of. All of us Americans were super excited about going on the slide because there isn't a lifeguard monitoring how you go down. People race each other and some just sit out on the grass. I don't know if it has been mentioned in another blog, but when we went to Neuschwanstein, I shoved a big piece of raw salmon in my mouth and ate it for €1,14. So ever since then, we always bet each other to do things for €1,14, and I bet Grant to belly flop into the pool so I have to pay tomorrow. I am pretty sunburnt even though I put sunscreen on Eventually Hannah and I come home and we take showers. Then Hannah's parents want me to show them how to make American hamburgers. I have never made hamburgers in my life, so I have to google a video while Hannah was in the shower. I'm just gonna wing it. I just tell them how I eat my burgers at home and they think it's better than the German burgers they have. I don't know if I believe them or not, but eating them kind of made me sad because I miss home. After dinner, I finally showed them my ich buch. Frau Steiner, I know we were supposed to share them right away, but the mood wasn't right and at least I shared it. After we clean up, I go upstairs and brush my teeth and am going to bed after I finish this. 

Sydney:
My partner has been sick today, so I spent the day shadowing Taylor and her partner Leah. The day at school was pretty uneventful but, all of the Americans got together during homeroom to practice are musical talents for the talent show. We also practiced our dances; we will be doing a compilation of popular American dance songs which we will perform for our German home stay families. Song such as the Harlem Shake, Cupid Shuffle, and the YMCA will be performed on our last night here. Today Taylor and I had our very first higher level English class! It was interesting; the students are preparing for a test which is over the book Coraline; they have to prepare a one and a half minute monologue about what the best trick the other mother used to convince Coraline to stay with them was. The German students are very good at talking about the subject considering how little they speak English in English class. But what am I saying? We barely speak any German in German class... After school I headed to the pool here in Blieskastel with Abbey, we spent about 6 hours there with the other GAPPies and it was a lot of fun! The pools here are different than in America, not in the way they look, but by the way they are managed. There were no life guards and people were allowed to pretty much do whatever they wanted, which was really fun for the Americans. We got to go down the slides in whatever way we wanted; backwards, sideways, and 3+ at a time! Some of the Germans got bored before us but we kept going and plan on going back tomorrow. After the pool Abbey and I went to get ice cream and we chilled for a little bit. Now I am at home, preparing to dine on some German barbecue and then go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment