Sunday, June 12, 2016

Friday:Meeting my homestay//Ryley

Friday, June 10th

We started our day off with an early morning. We ate breakfast at 7:00 and had to have all of our bags packed to leave the hostel before that. After breakfast we all made sure we had everything from our rooms and we headed down to the train stop. We were kind of nervous about all getting on the train during rush hour with all of our luggage but we made it. We rode to the Hauptbahnhof Train Station where we then got on our first train to Homburg. The first train ride was about 3-4 hours long and the scenery we saw while we were on it was beautiful. There was a lady on the train sitting in the seat across from Erin and I in the aisle who fell asleep and started snoring. So that was a fun time. After that first train ride we had to quickly get off and make it to our next train which involved going down and then up a flight of stairs with our heavy luggage. We made it in time but didn't end up getting on that train. So we waited for a while for the next one and we all managed to get on again with our luggage. There was a lady with a really cute dog on the train that we kept trying to pet. The train ride was about 2 hours long and at the end when we were almost to Homburg something went wrong with the tracks or the platform of the train so we had to sit there stopped for about a half an hour. At this point we all had to go pee and the toilet on the train was broken so we couldn't go. We were all getting a little nervous about meeting our partners and speaking to them in German. We were all practicing what we were going to say and trying to memorize phrases. Eventually we got the station and we all got off and found our partners. After a moment of excitement and awkwardness we all went our separate ways to our host family's house. The car ride there was a little awkward because nobody really talked much or knew what to say. Once we got home I got a tour of my house and got to put my things in my room. I gave my family the gifts that I brought them and then we talked most of the evening just to get to know each other better. My host mom Conny made spaghetti for dinner which is my favorite and we talked more over dinner. After dinner we watched a movie and then went to bed because we were all tired from the day. That pretty much concludes my first day with my partner Meike!

-Ryley Tidrick

No comments:

Post a Comment