Monday, June 20, 2016

Saturday, June 18th: MT in Paris and other adventures

6/18/16
It seemed as if it was a typical morning at the Schmidt house. I woke up at 6:30 and got ready for the day. With my usual routine I came upstairs to the kitchen for breakfast at 7:00. This is where I was greeted by my host father, Christian. We exchanged in conversation as we started breakfast. This morning I decided to have two slices of bread. One with Nutella and one with raspberry marmalade. As I bit into the Nutella slice, Victoria came downstairs. She greeted me with a hug and then grabbed her usual cereal bowl. By the time I had finished my bread and drank my cup of coffee Korbinian still had not arrived to breakfast. I cleared my place and then went to finish my morning routine. After brushing my teeth I opened the bathroom door to see Korbinian at the breakfast table. Walking into the kitchen I greeted him by saying "Good morning Sleeping Beauty". In which he smiled as a response and ate his bread. 
About an hour later the whole family was packed for the day in Paris. Tossing our bags in the back, all five of us squished into the car. Sitting in between Koby and Victoria I learned the true meaning of sibling love as we drove to the train station. 
Once at the train station my nerves were through the roof! I was excited and both nervous for our trip to Paris. Sitting down we waited for our train due to its 10 minute delay. This allowed Koby to teach me small French phrases, which I attempted to speak. Soon the train came and boarded into our seats. Koby allowed me to sit by the window and he sat next to me. Once we took off Koby told me that the train was Germany's fastest train. We watched with amazement as we passed French land. I plugged my earbuds in and then decided to take a nap so I would be refreshed for the day. Opening my eyes I was greeted by a beautiful french country view. I spent almost all of the ride looking out the window and enjoying the view. Then Ute and Christian were taking pictures of us at any moment they could.
 Once we arrived into Paris, Koby was as excited as I was. It was also his first time in the beautiful city. Walking outside we decided to walk to our first spot rather then take the metro. The sky was bright and speckled with clouds but no rain poured on us. It was a great morning in Paris. First taking a picture at the train station we then started walking. With Koby by my side I got a detailed description of different buildings and French history. We walked down the path as I continued to gawk at the French architecture and food. Stopping by a little corner shop we picked up smoked sausage and some meat for our lunch later. I took a bite of the sausage and my mouth watered; it tasted wonderful! We then continued down our path and enjoyed some professional graffiti. After that we walked through an outdoor wall were plants dangled from the ceiling and light streamed through the glass. Stopping at a little shop that sold wooden colored letters, Koby moved the M next to the T and told me it was a sign for us to stay in Paris. I joked along and agreed with his statement.
We then continued our journey through the streets and I enjoyed every single step on the cobblestone. Every shop we passed smelled of fresh pastries and it made me wish I could all of it. Luckily we saw a macaroon shop and I was able to get some macaroons. 
We then made our stop at the Louvre and took some pictures. Then all five of us boarded the Foxity bus which was a two layer bus. Sitting on the top of the bus we crossed Seine river and started the tour. After struggling to figure out the audio tour we gave up and enjoyed the view. Both of us gapped at the National Assembly building. Then continued to say how nice it would be to see that everyday.
After seeing several buildings we then stopped on the street leading to the Arc de Triomphe. Walking down the street Koby and I pointed out our favorite stores and cars driving down the street. He practically drooled at all the sport cars. Lamborghinis, Ferraris, and Porches lined the side of the streets. Every time we passed a sport car he begged his dad to drive him in one. 
After stopping in H and M we decided to have a picnic on a bench. By eating bread, meat, fruit, and veggies our energy was replenished. Then Ute pulled out cake and I couldn't say no. Koby, Vici, and I also finished the macaroons. After cleaning up our lunch we continued on our way. 
Every step closer to the Arc my excitement grew. However, we were constantly stopped by Korbinian when he saw a watch store. Once we got to the Arc I was beyond amazed. After taking some pictures we crossed the road to get a better view. Unfortunately, our bus showed up on the other side then we expected. So Vici and I ran to the other side. And from then on I realized I could never drive with Parisian drivers.
 Luckily we made it on the bus before it drove away. From then we rode through the city and were on our way to the Eiffel Tower. Taking pictures of everything we could, Koby and I were in awe. As we got closer to the tower our hearts raced. Once we reached below the tower all five of us got off the bus. I stood there with my mouth open and I could not even speak a word. I was in awestruck with how beautiful the tower was and I could not believe it was before my eyes. We then walked farther back to get pictures without tourists. As we walked Koby and I counted all the brides taking pictures with the tower.
After taking our pictures with the tower it started to rain. We trudged back to the bus through the rain and the buses roof repelled on. Getting on the bus I said goodbye to the tower because it was truly a magnificent sight to see. 
Slowly the rain stopped and the windows opened. In the bus we rode past the Academie de Musique. A performer was outside the building and sang to a crowd of tourists. Koby and I sang along to a song we knew as we passed in the tour bus. 
We continued the tour and every stop left me in awe. The Opera house, Champs-Élysées, Concorde, and École Militaire all were amazing but my favorite stop was Notre Dame. There I sat in the church and viewed the most beautiful stain glass windows I have ever seen. Saints were formed in many of them and there were statues of several saints. Sitting with Koby in the pew we took it all in. I then lit a candle for Saint Theresa and Saint Mary. Out of all the sights this was truly my favorite.
Once we left the church all of us enjoyed a bag of Haribo and went to the Louve one last time. However, Koby was in dying need of a restroom. As we went into the the church before he noticed they didn't have one and decided to wait. But once we started on our way he REALLY  needed to go pee. Every bathroom we passed was either broken or the line was too long. With our short time we eventually found an appropriate bathroom. Ute and I swear we had never seen him that happy until he had gone to the bathroom. His face was priceless and I will never forget it. 
After seeing the Louve one more time we went to take the metro back to the train station. On the metro I was reminded of the stations in Munich and our daily commute. We then arrived at the train station and I was forced to say goodbye to Paris. Taking a picture with the train all of us departed.
We decided after a long day to eat dinner on the train. Not long after I fell asleep. Only waking up to realize the train ride was pretty much over. I then noticed  our train had gone over 300 kilometers per hour and I was amazed. 
We then went back to the car and rode home. Soon we were home and we dropped our stuff off and headed to the festival. 
Meeting friends there, Koby and I shared about our day. I then had Döner for the first time and really enjoyed it!! Once we both were finished eating the group went to dance. All of us danced to the music and enjoyed the night. 
Before leaving Koby and I got ice cream and walked up the hill back home. Before we knew it the day was over and we both were tired.
 But I can truly say it was a day I would never forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment