Saturday, June 25, 2016

Out of order: Wednesday June 22 Fieldtrip #3 MAINZ

n.b.: Frau S here. On Wednesday our entire group (44 people!) traveled to Mainz, which is the Hauptstadt of the neighboring German state of Rheinland-Pfalz. I have spent a fair amount of time in my travels over the years in Mainz and was excited to come "home".  The city itself is approximately 2000 years old and was at one time the border of the Roman Empire.  Mainz is also the hometown of Johannes Gutenberg, the inventor of moveable type and we were able to see four original Bibles in the vault of the museum.  Some students even got to try their hand at using a replica of Gutenberg's printing press!  Once in the city, we walked up to St. Stephan's church to begin a walking tour with a professional tour guide (we had mixed results...:-( ).

Connor:
Wednesday, June 22nd. This morning I go to sleep in a little longer. It was needed since we kept busy the day before. Our plan was to meet at the train station and head to Meinz. Hannah and Marygrace picked Daniel and I up since both his parents were working. We meet everyone else at the train station around 8:30. There we all chatted and talked until our train arrived. The train ride took about 2 hours. On the train I ended up sleeping. I was awake for maybe 20 minutes of the ride. At Meinz we had to hurry to our tour. We met our a church and start our tour there. While walking towards the church, we passed many restaurants and it made me even more hungry. Once we reached the church we were split up in 2 groups. Our tour guide talked, like an overview, and after what felt like a long time just standing there, we entered the church. Walking into the church, the temperature seemed to drop, getting very chilly, almost ice cold. There he told us about the stained glass windows. Not staying too long inside, we headed to a little courtyard. There he told us what so special about this buliding, the way it was built and why it's still standing. After leaving the church he took us around the city and to the Guttenberg mesuem. There he showed us how they printed paper in the old days. There he took three people to help him. I wasn't one as I was fine sitting down and relaxing. Then he showed us 4 very old books and he talked a long time about them. Then after that we had free time till 5:30. So everyone headed to a burger restaurant called hansund gluck. I had a wilde western burger that was 10/10. After that we had about 2 hours to kill, so a couple other people and I went looking for a book store. This was because I brought books with me, but during school I read so I was running out of reading material. But sadly no book store had English books in them. So then we walked around and eventually met more people around a sitting area. There pictures were taken and eventually walked to a huge 3 floor store that had anything but food. There I killed time by chatting and trying not to be bored. But I became bored anyways. After a while we walked back to the meeting place and meet everyone else from GAPP there. There we had to hurry to the train again. Another two hour ride back. But I didn't sleep on this ride. This time I sat next to Colin and talked with him. He was nice enough to share some food. Not too long into the train ride, Elyssa and Marygrace ended up sitting on the stairs next to my seat. They were also kind enough to share gummy bears with Colin and I. Then after a couple seats opened up, they went and sat in comfy seats. So Colin and I plugged our headphones and listened to music. Almost fell asleep but not quite. After the train ride, Hannah's mother took us back home. There we had dinner, spaghetti, which was 8/10. After eating we were both tired from walking all day, so we went upstairs. I plugged my music into his speaker and played a mix of different bands off my phone. We played need for speed and I ended up getting three new cars for him. All of them better then his mustang he had before, but that's not hard to beat. 2 hours later we decided we should sleep so we are not tired at school tomorrow. I went to my room, read a couple chapters out of my book, Asylum, and went to bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment